Wednesday, August 21, 2013

CrossFit and Running


Tampa Bayshore my #1 running location
Will CrossFit improve your running performance? This is a debatable topic, I've seen arguments for both sides. I think you'd have a solid case whichever side of the fence you are on you.....or would you? My stance is YES of course CrossFit will improve your running performance and vice versa. You should be strength training one way or another combined with your running program. CrossFit won't replace your running workouts but if used in conjunction it can only make you better. For example, to improve at running you need to run, to become a better hitter you need to take batting practice and to become a good shooter you need to practice your jump shot.... And what else should you be doing along with practicing your skill? You guessed it, strength training and becoming stronger. CrossFit does just that, it's the perfect ingredient in my opinion. Moreover, you can get creative with the CrossFit workouts and tailor them to your specific running goals. If your muscles fatigue sooner then later then you need to become stronger. I remember back in middle school and into high school when lifting weights was still debatable for baseball. Strength training and baseball were not closely linked together like they are today. Now strength training is a must, everyone athlete lifts weights and conditions...and if you aren't you need to reconsider. When I got to college we had the same strength and conditioning coach as the football team and lifting weights was mandatory 3 days a week. Bigger, faster stronger the motto for athletics today.
However, I do agree that depending on what type of running you are training for that will dictate your CrossFit workout regimen. If you are in a sport that requires more explosiveness like a sprinter or football running back then your CrossFit workouts can be more often and intense. On the other hand, if you are training for a marathon or longer distance running then 1 maybe 2 crossFit workouts a week will suffice. Just be aware of how your body is responding that's the key. Moreover, if you are just in CrossFit to become leaner, healthier, and stronger then more power to you. It will work. CrossFit is a full body workout so it definitely will enhance your physique and if that's your goal that is great too. Combine a clean diet and CrossFit and you will be happy with your results. As most of us know the diet is the hardest part (Look into the Paleo Diet that will give you a road map and guidelines to follow). There's a link at the bottom of the blog. 
Here's a good article I read that compares the two, CrossFit and running; check out the link below. 

Improve Running Performance with CrossFit



I really enjoy running, so even though I CrossFit as much as possible, I still like to run when I can. I haven't as much lately but maybe a little time off is ok to recharge. Running is a stress relief for me, it's a chance to get away, clear your mind from work and stay in shape. It's also worthwhile to note, its flat out good for you. Every place I've lived I have developed a favorite running spot or route. I think most people can relate to this. Even when I go on vacation I think it's great to find somewhere new to run. I get that same feeling from CrossFit as well, I guess I'll have to try a drop in on my next trip. It's all about the experience.

Here are a few of my favorite running routes/locations, if you get a chance check them out..... 
#1 Bayshore Blvd (Tampa)
#2 Red Rocks (Colorado)

#3 San Diego
#4 Miromar Lakes (Estero Florida)

#5 Chicago Lakefront 
   
#6 Newton Neighborhoods (Boston)


Shop Now Rogue Fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment